Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Food for Thought

So last week I took some time off from Weight Watchers because after enjoying three days in New York while not watching anything, I wasn't ready to jump back in.  So I decided to take the week off and see how it went. 

I continued my New York way of life which involves a lot of walking and eating what I want, when I want it, and not thinking about it.  I felt justified when the scale was in exactly the same place as it had been seven days before, despite the lack of organized exercise along with the cake, cookies, krispy creme,  pasta, burger, and belgian waffle that I'd eaten in the days prior.  I was affirmed, grateful and a little puzzled, until I remembered something I'd heard a little while ago that suggested that emotional state affects the way that food is digested and stored in the body.  Meaning negative feelings while eating can lead to weight gain or a stall in weight loss despite efforts elsewhere or the reverse.  Now I'm curious to look further into this, but based on my experience, I can see how it could be true. 

Last week, my "bad" meals were what I wanted to eat, rather than what I should be eating, and in the company of friends, so I was happy and satisfied while eating them.  And while I didn't log in any time with Jillian Michaels, which I dread until the end, I did do a lot of walking on account of the spring preview we had last week, and I love to walk.  I guess the lesson is that being healthy is as much about doing what makes you happy as it is about counting calories and breaking a sweat, and that if and when you find that balance, you're on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
In the pursuit of today...