I'm a lover of new things, mostly because new things often have their own unique scent (I have a very sensitive nose, like from across the room I can smell the banana peppers on your sub.). One of my favorites is the new CD smell. I haven't encountered it in a while, thanks to iTunes giving me the ability to acquire music without having to wait a week or leave the house. But I sacrifice the new CD experience :(. Anywho...
My little sis regifted me a shuffle. I can't watch videos or movies of even pick which song to listen to next, but right now it's all that I need, and I'm loving it with the new music I purchased in preparation for my NYC stint last weekend. Among the newbies are Fantasia's latest album, love it!, some select songs from Jazmine Sullivan's latest, & MaryMary's new single I'm Walking, which I was listening to as my doctor came in, and inquired what was playing in my ears. When I told her she said "Oh that's a good thing to do, listen to Gospel...". Her comment caught me off guard. Maybe because I never thought of the song as gospel. I do have a gospel playlist, but "I'm walking" isn't on it, it's mixed in with my other newbies.
I try to be conscious of and selective about what I give access to my ears & eyes, because I believe they are the gateways to the mind, heart and soul, and that what you put in will eventually come out. In my early years, I could only listen to "church music" but at around age 8 or 9, my mom abolished the rule with the warning "listen to the words." I'm not sure why, but that has always stuck with me. And so it is today, I gravitate towards music that uplifts and affirms me where I am in my life currently, regardless of what genre it falls into.
No comments:
Post a Comment